Snoring is a common problem and can affect men and women of all ages.
Snoring is caused by a narrowing or blocking of the airway. The disruption of airflow causes the soft palate and tissues of the throat to vibrate. The narrower the airway becomes, the louder the snoring.
Snoring can often be treated by wearing a snore guard that maintains an open, unobstructed airway in the throat while you sleep.
Some common causes of snoring include:
- Inflammation of the tissues in the mouth nose or throat (including tonsils)
- Blocked nasal passages (often caused by a cold or allergies)
- Lack of muscle tone (due to aging or poor fitness levels)
- Obesity causing the airway to narrow due to fat
- Medicines that cause relaxation
Back to Additional Dental Services